[cups.general] trying to prevent cups from seeing other printers, BUT still see them even though Browsing Off, etc...

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 15 13:49:07 PST 2007

Hi, Running cups on SunOS 5.8 version 1.2.7.

I am trying to NOT have printers configured elsewhere from showing
up when running lpstat -v

1. Browsing Off ( or is No?)....in any case this does not help still see
printers on server on a different network....
2. BrowseAllow none  ......nope still see printers?????
3. I only listen to local unix socket.....

I must confess I am at a loss to explain this....it's as if the
configuration file is being ignored (see
below for settings). Also attachment of error.log when
startup....mysteriously I see printers
being added??????

Yes, we do have a cups server running on on a Different subnet? Perhaps
the switches now
allow these broadcast through but this still should be seen?

LogLevel debug2
SystemGroup cscf-staff
Listen /software/cups-1.2.X/data/spool/run/cups/cups.sock
Browsing No
BrowseOrder deny,allow
BrowseDeny all
BrowseAllow none
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  # By default anyone on 129.97. networks can connect but not
necessarily print
  Order deny,allow
  Deny all
  Allow 129.97.0.0/255.255.0.0
  Allow none
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  Order deny,allow
  Deny all
  # EDIT for your organization
  Allow 129.97.15.0/255.255.255.0
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  # Change configuration requires passwd in /etc/passwd and user must by
  # a member of @SYSTEM which is defined by the SystemGroup parameter
above.
  # The settings in the /admin directive carry over to this directive
unless negated
  # by settings here.
  Require user @SYSTEM
</Location>
<Policy default>
  # Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an adminstrator...
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job
Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
  </Limit>
  # All administration operations require an adminstrator to authenticate...
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer
Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job
Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class
CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
    Require user @SYSTEM
  </Limit>
  # Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a job...
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow