[cups.general] RFC: New Driver Rating/Information Attributes

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jan 29 06:56:58 PST 2007

Johannes Meixner wrote:
>> That's not something that belongs in the PPD file, but in the
>> application that is interpreting the data.
>
> But then each application that is interpreting the data may
> use different default weights which would lead to user confusion
> (in particular different printer setup tools may select different
> PPDs by default).

That's already the case, with every tool taking info from different
places.

If we provide a standard set of attributes along with recommendations
for UI and interpretation, the differences should be much smaller and
the recommendation should at least be consistent.  (Whether the user
can pick individual drivers or has the choice made for them is up to
the distro - every distro has their focus...)