[cups.general] Konica Minolta Magicolor 7450

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Jul 9 21:19:03 PDT 2007

Russbucket wrote:

> What I had
> to do is copy the ppd to /usr/share/cups/model/Xerox then I was able to
> configure it with YaST. I think it can also be configured with CUPS from
> there also. If not you could copy the ppd to /etc/cups/ppd.

No! Don't do that.

/etc/cups/ppd/ is the home of PPDs for *installed* printers. It is not
meant to be a place to copy PPDs manually to.

/usr/share/cups/model/ (or an appropriate sub directory there) is the
right repository and place to copy a PPD to if you want to install it.

The installation process of the printer (whatever method you use for in-
stalling -- lpadmin commandline, CUPS web interface, your distro's tool,
"kaddprinterwizard"...) should find the PPD there. A successfull instal-
lation will automatically copy (and rename) the PPD to /etc/cups/ppd/.

Older versions of CUPS may need a restart of cupsd before it recognizes
the PPD you copied to /usr/share/cups/model/...

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS