[cups.general] Changing Resolution ???

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Jul 11 10:07:07 PDT 2007

Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> > Kurt Pfeifle [11/07/07 07:10 -0700]:
> >
> > I'll try to loosen my lip and expound on the issue.

> > I'd like to have my print output at a high resolution without the jagged
> > edges, with very sharp, crisp, clean lines.

We all want that. Normally.

I meant to ask for: which specific resolution do you want? 300 dpi? 600 dpi?
1200 dpi? 720 dpi?

Which resolution is the hardware of your printer capable of? Do you have
proof that it can print as you want, for example from a different OS?

> > I see jagged edges when I print from Acroread, a .pdf file, or when I print
> > documents from OOWRITER.
> >
> > I use mutt and often print email messages, by hitting P with the desired
> > message open. I also use enscript to print text files, created using vim.

> > My laserjet iii p prints beautifully, when jobs are sent to it from
> > connected windows applications. It prints these jobs without any jagged or
> > frayed edges. All graphics print clearly, cleanly.

Are you printing to this printer via your Linux box (via CUPS), or directly
from Windows? If via CUPS: are you using native Windows drivers, or using a
PostScript driver?

> > This is where I need help. I want to figure out how to change to different
> > PPD's for this printer.

The PPD is always assigned to the print queue by the tool that you use
to set it up. I don't know which distro you use (you probably mentioned
it earlier in the thread), and which printerinstall-util that one ships
with.

The builtin, native CUPS tools to install (or modify) a printer are:

 (a) the CUPS web interface via  http://localhost:631/admin/  [Look for
     the "Add Printer" button...]

 (b) the "lpadmin" command. [See also "man lpadmin" if you are used to
     commandline thingies already...]

The web interface will offer you to select amongst the discovered PPDs.
(Or, alternatively, specify the PPD on a different location by clicking
the "Browse"-button when you come to the point to select the model.)

For the commandline: you need to run it as root. To find out which PPDs
CUPS knows as installable, run "lpinfo -m".

> > I believe the problem lies in having currently
> > installed a PPD which doesn't exploit the full potential of my printer.

The PPD is not the only thing. The PPD (if it is not a PostScript printer)
does also call a 'filter' program. That filter/driver program may output
sub-optimal quality for your printer.

Please post the output of these commands:

  grep cupsFilter /etc/cups/ppd/[your-printer-name].ppd

  grep ^\* /etc/cups/ppd/[your-printer-name].ppd |grep -v ^\*%|head -n 20

It will give us a clue about which PPD you have currently installed.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS