CUPS problem

Aaron hookahschwa at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 13:46:12 PDT 2007

I am working on a server that is having an odd cups problem.  The server is running RedHat Linux and the problem is that I removed all of the printers from the Linux printer setup and somehow the following is still appearing in the printcap:

AdobePDF7:
HP_Color_Inkjet_CP1700:
HP_DJ_650C_36_(socket:__192.168.1.250:9100):
savin_on_192.168.1.46:
Stylus_COLOR_740:

I checked SAMBA to see if any printer configurations in there were causing this but I didn't find anything unusual.  I even went as far as stopping the smb daemon and restarting cups but these printcap entries still appear.

Here is an example of what I get while running lpstat -t

sh-2.05a# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: AdobePDF7
Printer 'AdobePDF7 at localhost' - cannot open connection - Connection refused
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
Printer 'HP_Color_Inkjet_CP1700 at localhost' - cannot open connection - Connection
 refused
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
Printer 'HP_DJ_650C_36_(socket at localhost' - cannot open connection - Connection
refused
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
Printer 'savin_on_192.168.1.46 at localhost' - cannot open connection - Connection
refused

How can I find out where these odd printer entries are coming from and how can I get rid of the connection refused?  If I add the printers back in, all of the log files report connection refused.  Can anyone help?