Job spooling to print server

Christian Niessner cups at christian-niessner.de
Mon Jul 30 01:42:57 PDT 2007

Hello,

> Only to make sure that there is no trivial misunderstanding:
>
> Which exact loaction is it when you talk about "they get spooled"?
>
> If several client servers send their jobs simultaneously to the
> dedicated server, they get spooled at the dedicated server
> in a mixed up ordering from each client's point of view
> but it is the right ordering (as they are received) on the
> dedicated server.

I've build a dedicated test-situation, where i have one server and one "client". The client is spooling it's data to the server. And there is only one client spooling at a certain time.

As i described in my initial post, cups 1.1.x seems to spawn an own ipp backend for each job in it's queue. Due to this fact, I think it's no wonder for the jobs to get mixed up. it's like spooling from several clients at the same time.

> When a client wants to make sure that several files are printed
> as one contiguous print job, the client must send them as one
> print job: "lp -h server -d queue file1 file2 ... fileN".

That's not possible. It's a closed source 3rd party software which issues one lp command per page spooled...

> By the way:
> If I remember correctly there was such a problem with SAP which sends
> interrelated stuff (e.g. various documents which belong to one order)
> as several individual print jobs (I don't know if SAP can be configured
> to send it as one single print job).

I searched for this issue, but i didn't find it. The keyword SAP returned some hits, but nothing looked like a similar problem. Was it in the forum or on an other location?

Have a nice day,
   Christian