How do I create levels of printer administration

grant basham grant at rsmas.miami.edu
Tue Jun 5 08:06:38 PDT 2007

Not exactly what you asked for, but I attach my work notes/conf file for a cups 1.2.11
setup that has overall administrators who know the username/passwd "rcfadmin/somepasswd"
and [sub]administrators for a [sub]division, mpo, who can start/stop/configure printers
and jobs on printers labeled as mpodiv printers with a separate user/pass.    Not a
finished product, probably even wrong in spots, but it works.  It works thru digest
auththentication (a specific cups passwd file), not the general /etc/passwd file.