[cups.general] Centralized Server Problem

Caspar Siebeneicher csieben at math.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jun 12 10:55:01 PDT 2007

Hello to you all!
Having read through documentation I am missing (or simply not seeing) a
configuration detail. I have a printserver (CUPS on feisty) and
multiple (400+) clients. Some of the clients have a locally attached
printer (about 50). The printers are changing rooms from time to time.
I want the server to filter all jobs (what I actually can do by
setting ServerName and ServerBin), but this is only working for
networked printers. As soon as I give a local-connected-printer queue to
the server the printer stops existing. I suspect the server to search
its own USB/parallel ports where no printer is connected. How can I
make the server spool everything and at the same time be able to connect
printers to clients via USB/parallel port?
In lprng you insert in printcap:

 :lp=lp at clientname

Is there a similar possibility with the deviceURI in CUPS?

Installing and maintaining filters on all machines is not really an
option for me...

Thx in advance for any help