[cups.general] Centralized Server Problem

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 08:33:02 PDT 2007

> I downloaded and installed ppf but I am unable to get it to work. Maybe
> it has something to do with my printer device on the client.
> /dev/usblp0
> in the syslog it says
> Unable to open '/dev/usblp0' due to: Invalid argument

I don't ever use USB attached printers, so I can't be much help.  But
I'd guess it is a permissions problem (you use sudo below to send the
job to /dev/usblp0) or the USB device file is fluky.

As a heavier solution you could just run CUPS on all the boxes and
define the local printer as raw and receive IPP jobs from the central
printer.  Should work,  but it sounded initially like you didn't want to
run CUPS (or much of anything) on the local workstations.  Just
ipp://{clientname}/{queuename}

> webUI says '/usr/lib/cups/backend/socket failed' (guess thats normal when ppf's not running well)

Yep.

> The printer is connected and the cable not broken ('cat testpage.ps |sudo tee /dev/usblp0' prints my testpage)
> I already tried:

> And does this (use of ppf) mean that it is not possible to do what I want with CUPS ?

Dude, give it a rest.  You problem of not having a queue on the client,
or way to receive jobs, doesn't have anything to do with what is or is
not possible with CUPS.  CUPS is a print server,  of course what you
want to do is "possible".