Network printer: remote jobs hang,print if requeued locally

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Tue Jun 26 07:22:28 PDT 2007

> Hello,
>
> On Jun 26 04:33 Kurt Pfeifle wrote (shortened):
> > Well, AFAIR, all the 'authoritative' documentation sources do advice
> > to enable raw printing by setting it up in mime.{convs,tpyes}:
> > by removing the comment signs in the last lines.
>
> I am not talking about how to enable raw printing for any client.
> In particular I am not talking about how to enable raw printing
> for any CUPS client because for CUPS clients I would like
> that printing random data (e.g. "lp /boot/vmlinuz") is
> rejected with a "document-format-not-supported" error.

Unfortunately, if you enable raw printing (or if someone sends the compressed kernel image through cups by using "lp -o raw") this file will not be rejected, and the printer will have to cope with it....

> I am only talking about how to enable raw printing only for
> printing from Windows clients via Samba where the Windows client
> has the native print driver for the target printer installed.

OK, but the problem starting this thread was this:

 * print client (IIRC, it was OS/2) sent a PostScript file to Samba
 * Samba added "-o raw" to the job options handed to CUPS, preventing auto-typing
 * CUPS faithfully sent the PostScript file unfiltered/raw to the printer
 * however, this specific printer did not support PostScript, and hence, no print output happened.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant --- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS