Problem "printer not connected" on 1.2.4 for USB printer.

Yu Guo Victor.Yu.Guo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 12:26:00 PDT 2007

> Yu Guo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just updated my CUPS from 1.1.23 to 1.2.4. But my USB printer does not work under 1.2.4 any more.
> > In the 1.1.23, the DeviceURI is usb:/dev/usb/lp0.
> >
> > But after the update, I still use the same DeviceURI by editing the printer.conf file. It gives the message "printer not connected".
> >
> > My printer works when I use "cat file.txt > /dev/usb/lp0" .
> >
> > Why does the printer not find the connection?
>
> Because raw device names are no longer allowed (they change depending
> on the time of detection and the whims of the Linux kernel
> developers...)
>
> --
> Internet Printing and Document Software          http://www.easysw.com

When I add my USB printer from the web interface, the only selection in the list of Device related to USB is "Unknown USB #1".
After that, I can see the Device URI is "usb://EP/Unlnown". But it does not work. I sill get the "printer not connected" problem.

I am using Slackware 10.2 and CUPS 1.2.4.

In my case, what could the Device URI for usb look like?

Best Regards,
YuGuo