[cups.general] Error: No %%BoundingBox: comment in header!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Mar 23 21:08:57 PDT 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007, Ambrose Li wrote:
>On 23/03/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> Not stupid at all, but please understand that the n-up option does
>> need to know the size of the page so it can butt them against each
>> other properly.  Without the bonding box data, the best it can do is a
>> SWAG, or a segfault, possibly even rejecting the job.
>
>This still strikes me as strange. N-up printing requires the system to
> know the page size, not the bounding box. The two are not necessarily
> the same and a proper calculation of the bounding box will almost
> certainly result in a bounding box that is not the same as the page
> size. And page size in Postscript print jobs is hinted using the
> %%DocumentMedia comment, not the %%BoundingBox comment.
>
>Also, in the absence of bounding box data, the "best" it can do is
> assume a default page size (don't know if this is what you mean by
> SWAG, but even Ghostscript does this by default so it's not an
> unreasonable assumption). A segfault is far from "the best" it can do.

I agree, but that's what it has been known to do on me in the past, so I
felt I had to toss that option on the table.  SWAG of course is a
Scientific Wild Assed Guess. :-)

Besides, isn't the %%DocumentMedia comment a pdf spec rather than a ps
spec?  I don't recall seeing that in the gs code the last time I walked
around in it, but %%BoundingBox was all over the place, which was back
about version 5.10 or so, building it on an amiga. (Now that gives away a
hint as to my age I guess as I was about 60ish then) That had pdf in it,
but the spec was then just barely at version 1.2 IIRC.  And it actually
worked quite well if you had all the t's crossed and the i's properly
dotted on the command line.  There have been megatons of changes since
then, making it a whole lot more robust.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)