[cups.general] Error: No %%BoundingBox: comment in header!

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Mar 24 05:23:28 PDT 2007

Ambrose Li wrote:
> On 23/03/07, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
>> You don't need to resolve it, but you also won't be able to safely do
>> N-up processing or fit-to-page on the jobs from your Macs.
>
> Stupid question, but why would n-up processing depend on the
> bounding box?

Because we need to know the page size to position and scale it on
the output page.  The default is to assume the same size as the
output page (normally correct), but if we have more accurate info
from the app we use it.

 > If I want to print n-up, I want the pages to be arranged
> in an n-up fashion irrespective of their bounding boxes (i.e.,  whether
> they are filled or not, or whether the contents are clipped or not, I want
> the pages to be arranged n-up). I wouldn't want them to behave any
> differently depending on their bounding boxes...

In general, most apps use the printer's imageable area as the bounding
box, although they might use custom margins defined by the user.  The
results will be consistent for that application or document (i.e. you
won't see one page scaled up while others are not unless the pages are
different sizes...)