One-page-at-a-Time

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Fri May 11 01:21:34 PDT 2007

> Kurt:
>

> > Sorry, I do not visit the website of this newsgroup every day (and if I do, I may well overlook or forget to re-visit previous threads...).
> >
> > I'm confused a bit now. You say you have only 1 paper tray ("lower cassette"), but you also say that you occasionally insert paper into the "MP Tray". Which adds up to two trays already...
>
> My HP Laser Jet IIIp, has 1 (one) add-on tray, under the printer.

Ah -- but that printer should work with the CUPS-provided "laserjet.ppd". No need for foomatic-rip here.

See if you have a laserjet.ppd or a laserjet.ppd.gz in your /usr/share/cups/model/ directory. Then use this one for installing the print queue. I would be surprised if that did not work.

[....]

> unfortunately, when I attempted to
> print, the same job I sent to print above, the printer online light went
> off..signaling that I needed to manually initiate the job (same old problem)

Uhm... the 2nd printing should go to the 2nd print queue you created (named "print2file"). The printer light (of the physical printer attached to your queue "sethlaser") shouldn't change in *any* way. Print to this 2nd queue:

   lp -d print2file /path/to/printfile

> and there was NO /tmp/printfile.prn in my /tmp folder. The
> /etc/cups/ppd/print2file.ppd was indeed created by step b above, therefor i
> am unable to complete step e as you suggest.

:-)

> What next? What have I overlooked?

One last idea: some printers have adjustable guides to make the paper size fit to the tray. Some auto-detect the adjusted size by means of builtin sensors, and some need to have their sensors adjusted by a separate knob. Maybe there is a problem with that in your device? (OTOH, then Windows printing should show similar problems...)

Cheers,
Kurt