remote printing authentication

Rune Andresen andresen-cups at diku.dk
Tue May 29 04:03:55 PDT 2007

> Hi all,
>
> I am kind of new to CUPS, so the quesion might be stupid.

Me too - hope you can use my hints .. and if they are wrong, I hope someone can correkt them (and me :) ..

> I installed CUPS on a linux (fedora) machine and I added a printer
> named hostname:631/printers/printer_name in my xp laptop. The
> printing was successful. However, I want some authentication process,
> such as prompting a message box asking username and password, before
> I can print something. Because I do not want others access this
> printer via Internet (just in case).
>
> I gusee I have to setup something in cupsd.conf, but do not know how.
>
> anyone can help on this?

Don't know if this is the best/correct way to setup password/username, but try to change '/' to:

<Location />
  # Allow shared printing...
  AuthType BasicDigest
  Order allow,deny
  Satisfy All
  Allow All
</Location>

When you add the printer in windows, select network-printer, https://hostname:631/printers/printer_name

This _should_ popup a windows asking for username/password.

Remember to set your digest-passwd with:

lppasswd -a you_login

Regards,
Rune Andresen