[cups.general] network performance with big print job

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Nov 7 14:34:55 PST 2007

Brian O'Hare wrote:
> We have an application deployed on a CentOS linux server which will send print jobs to a CUPS printer configured on that server but with printer located at another location on the network.
>
> Make and Model: HP LaserJet 4350 Postscript
> Device URI: socket://192.168.124.241
>
> There will be large print jobs sent to this printer e.g. PDF files of 40Mb
>
> Will this degrade the performance of the network?  Or is there a CUPS configuration that I can set to help?

It will certainly use more of your bandwidth, however my experience
has been that network printers rarely have the speed to saturate a
typical 100baseT connection.  Either the file will be relatively
small and the print engine won't be able to print fast enough to
saturate the link, or the processor in the printer won't be fast
enough to process the larger page descriptions and get them to the
engine for printing.

That said, it might make sense to use a separate network segment if
you have a lot of printers, as multiple printers *can* collectively
use up all of your bandwidth.