CUPS Intergration in Active Directory

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Nov 12 10:17:00 PST 2007

Esben Laursen wrote:

> Is it possible to intergrate a CUPS printer into our AD somehow? I
> cant seem to find some information on it anywhere...

CUPS itself doesn't directly integrate into AD.

You have to make sure that Samba knows about CUPS printers (whatever
method you prefer to do so; often times using the "cupsaddsmb" utility
to export CUPS printers+drivers to Samba is the most convenient one, so
that Windows clients can use "Point and Print"; for other methods see
the Samba Howto Collection).

When Samba in turn exports its known printers to Windows, once you have
Samba integrated into AD, your CUPS printers can be accessed by all
Windows clients, and to the clients the CUPS printers don't look any
different from printers that are shared by a Windows print server,
except that they are all using a single PostScript printer driver (very
advantageous in Terminal Server environments).

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS