cups on hp/ux 11.11 performance

Mark Sommer mark.cups at somware.com
Fri Nov 16 07:15:47 PST 2007

Working with a client's install.  We have an issue where we have 48 printers of varying types which has become very slow.  I mention 48 printers become very slow.  In tracking down where the slowness is, I believe it's in spooling the jobs.  lpstat -t for example can take anywhere from 15 seconds to 30 seconds to complete.  Spooling a single job takes up to 40 seconds.  It's traversing the entire list of printer and I'm not sure why or what's causing the slowness.  I did see a bug in GTK+ prior to 2.10.12 had a bug listed which seemed related:

* modules/printbackends/cups/gtkprintbackendcups.c: Get all
	the printer attributes when getting the list of printers,
	not via separate requests.  (#387889, Krishan Purahoo)

but I don't see cups linking into gtk+ on this system.  Furthermore the version of GTK+ on this system is 2.10.13, so I'm looking for ideas on where to look next.

Thanks