authentication failed

andrew talcmehl at frontiernet.net
Sat Nov 24 16:59:31 PST 2007

I just upgraded kde and open office then went thru the steps for resetting cups. I get thru the process till I get to the authentication and then I get authentication failed . I retry using every user id and password combination I have for the computer and all site logins. When I try using the printer manager  I get to the administrator mode and I get Sorry kde su  Command '/opt/kde/bin/kcmshell printers-embed-proxy 18875675 lang en_US' not found. I tried the console as root with /var/log/cups/error_log file and I get bash: /var/log/cups/error_log: Permission denied. I am still new at linux and I don't know what a lot of these codes and all the different intersecting files are or where they are so I am lost. Any ideas or can you point me in a general direction?