[cups.general] Probably stupid questions, but I'm confused

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Oct 16 10:53:56 PDT 2007

Gerald Britton wrote:
> Yeah, Tray 1 is on the side of the printer with adjustable guides.  I
> know how to use it ok, but I want to understand why there are two
> similar prompts in the Set Printer Options screen.  Are they the same
> or different

They certainly do have a different meaning.

> BTW, I've tried lots of permutations, but the printer always asks me
> if I want to print from tray 1, which I have to overide to get it to
> print from the default tray

May be a bug in your version of the PPD.

Grab the one from Linuxprinting.org. That one usually is the newest,
newer than any distro (distros fetch it from there, and HP folks do
update to there):

  http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
  http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_9040_MFP
  http://openprinting.org/foomatic-db/db/source/PPD/HP/HP_LaserJet_9040_9050_MFP.ppd

Compare with "sdiff -sbB myhp.ppd HP_LaserJet_9040_9050_MFP.ppd | less"
what differences you can spot for both files. If any, try the newer one
and see if your Tray 1 behavior changes.

P.S.:
-----
I compared the two files and spotted many differences. The most signi-
ficant ones for your case:

*% PPD for HP LaserJet 9040                          |*% PPD for HP LaserJet 9040 9050 MFP
*HPBuildNumber: "001"                                |*HPBuildNumber: "003"
[...]
<</ManualFeed true /MediaPosition 3>> setpagedevice" |<</ManualFeed true>> setpagedevice"
<</ManualFeed false /MediaPosition 3>> setpagedevice"|<</ManualFeed false>> setpagedevice"

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS