Problem with web administration - cups 1.3.3

Peder O. Klingenberg peder at news.klingenberg.no
Wed Oct 17 07:18:53 PDT 2007

Hi.

I'm having some problems with Cups 1.3.3, running on Debian 'sarge',
x86_64.  The cups system included with sarge is ancient, so I
downloaded the 1.3.3 tarball from cups.org today.

I unpacked it, ran "./configure --prefix=/usr/local/cups-1.3.3",
"make" and (as root) "make install".  Then I started the server as
root: "/etc/init.d/cups start".  No errors were reported during this
procedure.

I fired up lynx (no X installed on this server) and pointed it
at localhost:631.  So far so good.  But when I try enabling remote
administration from the administration menu, I get a response saying
only "Error: Permission denied".  I tried compiling again, this time
including "--with-config-file-perm=0660" in the configure command, but
that didn't make a difference.  Neither did including
"-auth=root:Geheim" in the lynx command line to try to force
authentication.

Now, I have no problem editing the config file by hand, but I would
prefer to have the web interface work.

This is actually my second attempt.  A month or so ago I tried with
cups 1.3.2, and failed in the same manner.  I messed around with the
config file quite a bit, but it didn't help.  I manually enabled
remote access to everything (I think), but experienced the same
problems with editing the configuration through my remote firefox.  I
also had problems adding printers through the web interface.  I would
fill out all the forms correctly and click on the final "add printer",
but nothing would show up in the printer list.

I haven't tried adding printers this time around, as I suspect it's
the same problem as with the config files.  Lynx is a pain to use, so
I'd like to get remote administration up and running first.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

....Peder...
--
I wish a new life awaited _me_ in some off-world colony.