CUPS, AIX, and IPv6 - an FYI

Amy Tanner amy.tanner at netaspx.com
Tue Sep 4 08:41:36 PDT 2007

> For those running CUPS in AIX environment, if you're not already aware,
> AIX by default, uses IPv6. I'm not sure when IBM made this change but
> it's effective in 5.2.
>
> Disabling IPv6 in AIX resolves the response time delay by eliminating
> the need for the request to move too high up the DNS chain for resolution and speed up the request to the next available server should
> the first DNS server is non-responsive.
>
> The result -
>
> From this: (IPv6 enabled and first DNS server down)
>
>      # timex lpr -Pricoh ti01-1.txt
>      real 113.72
>      user 0.57
>      sys  0.02
>

> To this: (IPv6 disabled and first DNS server down)
>
>     # timex lpr -Pricoh ti01-1.txt
>     real 3.67
>     user 0.58
>     sys  0.03
>

> The change- /etc/netsvc.conf
>
> 	from: hosts=local,bind
>
> 	  to: hosts=local,bind4
>
> In fact, to disable IPV6, you can put any (alpha/num)characters after
> the word "bind" except for the number "6", and it will resolve to IPV4.
>
> No downtime or refresh of any kind is required. Immediate performance
> increase.

Angel -

I am seeing poor performance printing under AIX as well.  I tried the solution you suggested above, but the real time always remains around 30 seconds.  Is there anywhere else you suggest I should look?

Also, did you compile cups yourself or use a binary from somewhere?  We are running 1.2.23 compiled ourselves with no options except the prefix.

Thanks,
Amy