Cannot print from MacOSX to debian...

Mario Flores marioadmin at cox.net
Mon Sep 10 11:47:15 PDT 2007

I recently upgraded to debian etch and tried to set it up as a print server (I did not do it with sarge). I also have an XP and iMac comptuers on my LAN. I can print from debian (local) and from the XP computer, but not from the iMac.

When adding the printer in iMac, I chose IPP, the linux pc adddress, and the default queue appears there. Then when I try to print, I get a message that the server is busy and will retry. I see the job in the iMac's queue but not in the linux queue.

I run debug on the linux cups system and the following line catched my attention:

D [10/Sep/2007:10:23:20 -0700] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.

I thought I had set up cups to allow anyone to print. The section of cupsd.conf file for printers follows:

<Location /printers>
AuthType None
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From None