[cups.general] copy configurations

henri henri at stmargarets.school.nz
Mon Apr 7 15:00:46 PDT 2008

> Where can I find out the original name of those defined printers?
Sorry, I am not sure, perhaps someone else will be able to provide an
answer to this question.

I know it seems like a pain, but you could download the drivers from
the manufactures website. At least then you can rest assured that you
have the latest drivers installed on your new system and that these
drivers will be compatible with your new system. You could then use
PrinterSetup to specify these new PPD's.

By using PrinterSetup to manage your queues, the setup of client
queues will also be a simplified. It will just be a matter of
automating some file renames and performing some find and replaces in
these new PrinterSetupFiles. In addition, if you take this path, then
creating these queues another server in the future will be trivial.

As was previously mentioned on this list, you could try coping the
'printers.conf' file and the 'ppd' directory to your new setup. It
would certainly be worth a try. Provided the PPD's are the only files
which are required when printing, I imagine this should work.

However, using PrinterSetup to move the queues will work work. Plus,
you gain the ability to easily move these queues to another server in
the future and to easily deploy these queues to any client machines
which you may be managing.

All the best.