[cups.general] how to print directly to network printer using command line lp... ?

Norm Jacobs Norm.Jacobs at Sun.COM
Wed Apr 16 09:12:14 PDT 2008

Presumably, you will not be able to print to it directly with the CUPS
client commands.  The last time I looked carefully at their
implementation, they made some CUPS specific IPP requests before they
actually used the IPP print-job or create-job/send-document sequence.
It's unlikely that your printer implements the necessary CUPS IPP
extensions, but stranger things have been known to happen.

There are implementations of IPP that would allow you to send your job
data directly to the printer.  The CUPS ipp backend module is one, the
OpenPrinting PAPI implementation is another, and I expect that there are
others.  You might also be able to send your job data over a raw TCP
socket connection (usually to port 9100) or port 515 using rfc-1179
protocol.

This all begs the question, why do you want to bypass the queue?

    -Norm