[cups.general] Forcing CUPS to pass dummy user to HPLIP

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Apr 23 07:37:24 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 07:03:44AM -0700, Mark Coolen wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how I can force Cups to pass on a static
> user (i.e. 'office') to HPLIP.  I'm printing via the MS Image Writer
> driver from XP in order to use an HP Fax printer.  HPLIP gets the
> owner of the print job from Cups and only passes the print job on
> when hp-sendfax is run as the same username.  Is there any way to
> get Cups to always see print jobs as printed by the same, generic
> user (office) no matter who is actually logged in?

You could use Tea4CUPS (http://www.pykota.com) for this.

Just define a virtual print queue doing nothing else except
launching Tea4CUPS, with the following device uri "tea4cups://"

Then in tea4cups.conf define a hook like this one (adapt it to your
needs and actual settings) :

prehook_fax : /usr/bin/lp -dYourFaxQueue -U office -oraw $TEADATAFILE

Have all people print to the virtual queue, and you're done.

Something like 5 minutes work.

hth

Jerome Alet