[cups.general] PS lvl 3 to lvl2 conversion problem.

Marc Moreau sysassist at cs.uleth.ca
Mon Aug 18 14:03:04 PDT 2008

I have a number of printer here.  Most are relativly new and handle
Postscript Level3 files without any trouble, however there are some
older printers that cannot.

I have the proper PPD's for the older printers from the manufacturer
and they have *LanguageLevel: "2" set.

The problem is, when I send a Postscript level 3 to that printer, it
does not get converted to level 2 and therefore I get an error message
printed out.

Looking at mimes.types and mimes.convs files leads me to believe that
the .ps postfix gets picked up and passed directly to the printer.
If this is the case ( Which I'm not entirely certain it is ), does this
bypass the reading of the PPD which stated level 2 ?

Much head scratching is happening here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Marc Moreau