[cups.general] PS lvl 3 to lvl2 conversion problem.

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Aug 18 15:56:04 PDT 2008

Marc Moreau wrote:
> Looking at mimes.types and mimes.convs files leads me to believe that
> the .ps postfix gets picked up and passed directly to the printer.
> If this is the case ( Which I'm not entirely certain it is ), does this
> bypass the reading of the PPD which stated level 2 ?

No, however CUPS does *not* try to convert level 3 PostScript to
level 2 - that requires the use of a PostScript interpreter (like
Ghostscript), at which point you are just as well off using a non-PS
driver...

BTW, applications are supposed to either tailor their output to the
PostScript level specified in the PPD or use the lowest language
level they support.  Always producing level 3 PostScript is a recipe
for disaster, and I'd file bugs against the applications that do that.