Hold after rip feature ?

Julien Blanc julien.blanc at laposte.net
Thu Dec 4 06:44:25 PST 2008

> On Dec 4 01:30 Julien Blanc wrote (shortened):
> > Is there a way in cups to achieve an "hold after rip" feature ?
> > "lp -H hold" is not a working option now, because it won't do the rip.
>
> I didn't test if the following actually works:
>
> Set up a raw queue for the printer and let the filtered queue
> (i.e. the queue with the printer driver which does the rip)
> print into the raw queue for the printer.
>
> Hold the jobs in the raw queue and release them as you like.

Thanks for the quick answer, i'll have a look at that.

> Perhaps you may have to disable printing for the raw queue
> to hold the incomming jobs there, then change the priority
> of the jobs in the raw queue and finally enable printing
> so that the jobs should come out according to the priority.

Priority is not okay, but i could set all jobs state to hold before enabling printing. Though, that will prevent adding new jobs until the whole is processed, which will probably be blocking in my case.

I looked a bit into the code, and it seems that adding an "hold-after-rip" option to lp wouldn't be too much work, even for a newcomer in the code like me. I'll try to do that.

Best Regards,

Julien