Is ~/.cups/client.conf reloaded when it is changed?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Dec 29 06:43:56 PST 2008

karl runge wrote:
> In any event, the problem arises because the most common use
> of the VNC application is to connect to an _already existing_
> X11 or MacOS X desktop session.  At that point it is too late to
> interpose on CUPS for the running desktop apps: some will have
> already had CUPS print dialogs via libcups.

Right, but nothing prevents you from making a tunnel from say
localhost:8631 to localhost:631, putting "ServerName localhost:8631"
in client.conf, and then managing that tunnel depending on whether
the VNC is active.

> running for 1-2 months between restarts.)  But, I could be
> completely wrong about that and most actually prefer the
> current behavior.

Most users don't have a client.conf file and always print through the
local cupsd.  For those doing remote access printing, I'd guess that
it is more common for a new session to be created in business and
government environments to address security and privacy concerns.

Anyways, feel free to file a feature request - perhaps we can limit
the client.conf checking when we see it on application startup, or
via an option in client.conf...

     http://www.cups.org/str.php

Thanks!