[cups.general] CUPS/Samba/Kerb to AD - Console OK, Printer Fails

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 22 09:16:58 PST 2008

Damon Brinson wrote:
> Printing from Linux via Samba/CUPS to ActiveDirectory printer works from the command line, but CUPS won't print to the printer after it's added.  Error messages and configuration files follow...
>
> I've spent forever on this, and I feel like I'm 99% there...  Just some simple thing missing or misconfigured...
>
> Sincere thanks,
>
> -Damon
>
> Configuration:
>  - kubuntu 7.10
>  - cupsys 1.3.2
>  - cupsys-bsd 1.3.2
>  - cupsys-client 1.3.2
>  - cupsys-common 1.3.2
>  - smbclient 3.0.26a
>  - samba-common 3.0.26a
>  - krb5-user 1.6dfsg.1-7build1
>  - krb5-config 1.17

You'll need the current CUPS 1.3.6 to handle the large Kerberos
credentials provided by the Windows KDC, and you might need a newer
version of Samba (I don't remember which release actually includes
the Kerberos changes to smbspool...)

Finally, after setting up the queue, run:

     lpadmin -p printer -o auth-info-required=negotiate

to tell CUPS that the queue requires Kerberos authentication.