[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2397: Add quota/accounting help page

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Wed Feb 13 01:05:35 PST 2008

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Matt wrote:
> > It took a lot of effort and some patient hand holding by the Brother
> > techincal support staff, but I was able to get a Brother MFC-5440CN
> > working via a network interface on a Dell Inspiron 4900 laptop
> > running SuSE 10.2. Everything ran fine until the messages "Print
> > quota exceeded" began to show up in the logs. Considering that only
> > 52 total print jobs were initiated by five users, and that the limit
> > values were all set to "0", this is unacceptable! Please fix this
> > before my family begins bowing to Redmond again!!!!
>
> I can't find that message in the standard CUPS sources, and I don't
> know what version of CUPS (and what patches) that SuSE bundles, so
> you might have better luck filing a bug with SuSE.
>
> That said, if you turn job history off then there will be no way
> for the CUPS quotas to kick in; add the following line to your
> /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file and then restart cupsd:
>
>      PreserveJobHistory no

Just a few comments:
- SuSE 10.2 ships with cups-1.2.7.
- SuSE is not able to select its customers, it's the customer who
  selects the Linux distribution.
- A standard SuSE 10.2 system is configured without using print quota
- The system config tools (YaST modules) of a SuSE Linux are not
  able to configure/enable print quota
- The reference line "print quota exceeded" is not part of the CUPS
  code we ship along.
- An exact copy of the line(s0 of the logfile would helps us more than
  using the exclamation mark to often.

I would suggest to close this issue with "invalid", as it seems not to
be referenced the CUPS code here.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--