Unable to write print data: Broken pipe

Verena Alishahi v.alishahi at fz-juelich.de
Thu Jul 3 05:26:58 PDT 2008

> I presume you are printing the CUPS test page (inferring this from your log file).
> Thus, the job shouldn't contain any statements which might cause
> the printer to fail.
>
> But, obviously your queue is configured to use US Letter as the
> default format, and I suspect your printer is configured to print
> on A4 sheets. Might it be that you need to
> a) reconfigure your queue to default to A4
> or
> b) hit the printer's start button within the timeout period
>     (though this may depend on the printer's setup)?
>
> Helge

Yes, I try to print the cups test page. The queue is configured to use A4.
When I try to print the test page nothing appears in the printer control panel. No data is arriving, the printer still says ready, and just a few seconds after hitting the Print Test Page button on the cups webinterface the printer is stopped by cups with the message "Unable to write print data: Broken pipe"
With cups 1.1.23 and SuSE 10.0 I used the same configuration for that printer and it worked quite well. Now I've openSUSE 10.3 and cups 1.3.7 and nothing worked. I tried cups 1.2.12-22, too, but there was the same error.
That's why I think, since cups version 1.2 something changed in the cups-server causing this problem.
It might be possible, that suse changed something, too.

More ideas?

Verena