Unable to write print data: Broken pipe

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jul 3 06:03:09 PDT 2008

Verena Alishahi wrote:
>>I presume you are printing the CUPS test page (inferring this from your log file).
>>Thus, the job shouldn't contain any statements which might cause
>>the printer to fail.
>>
>>But, obviously your queue is configured to use US Letter as the
>>default format, and I suspect your printer is configured to print
>>on A4 sheets. Might it be that you need to
>>a) reconfigure your queue to default to A4
>>or
>>b) hit the printer's start button within the timeout period
>>    (though this may depend on the printer's setup)?
>>
>>Helge
>>

> Yes, I try to print the cups test page. The queue is configured to use A4.
> When I try to print the test page nothing appears in the printer control panel. No data is arriving, the printer still says ready, and just a few seconds after hitting the Print Test Page button on the cups webinterface the printer is stopped by cups with the message "Unable to write print data: Broken pipe"
> With cups 1.1.23 and SuSE 10.0 I used the same configuration for that printer and it worked quite well. Now I've openSUSE 10.3 and cups 1.3.7 and nothing worked. I tried cups 1.2.12-22, too, but there was the same error.
> That's why I think, since cups version 1.2 something changed in the cups-server causing this problem.
> It might be possible, that suse changed something, too.
>
> More ideas?
>
> Verena

I happen to have access to a SuSE 10.3 box with CUPS 1.3.6 installed and
just tested to print a test page to a HP 4100 dtn printer configured
to use the socket backend. It worked as expected.

Perhaps you post more details about that printer and the PPD you use.
Are you sure the PPD is the correct one for your printer?

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung