[cups.general] HP 5200 different media types in different trays?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Jul 15 06:58:56 PDT 2008

Jason Sullivan wrote:
> I'm working trying to get an HP 5200 to cooperate w/cups.  The problem
> seems to be that the third tray (which is optional) has 1"1x17" paper,
> while all other paper contained in the machine is 8.5"x11".  I can't
> figure out a way to configure CUPS such that
>
> a) applications can select 11x17 and the paper will come from that
> tray automatically or
> b) applications will select tray 3 and have documents formatted to an
> 11x17 page.
>
> Right now I've got documents either not using the whole page, or
> requesting that I put 8.5"x11" paper in tray 3, neither of which is
> the desired result.  Is this one of those situations where  I'd have
> to edit the PPD file?  This seems like a simple thing, but I couldn't
> find it in the forums.
>
> Thanks.

The printer should have a web interface which permits all the necessary
configuration steps.

Make sure to set up the media size / type for all the trays of your
printer and select the media by media size and/or type. That is much more
reliable than selecting the input trays by number, since most HP printers
by default are configured to automatically switch trays whenever the current
one gets empty.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke