IPP updates clobber manually-configured printer(s) [solved!?]

Del del at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 22 10:52:28 PDT 2008

> I am running CUPS v1.2.4 (sorry) under CentOS 5.2.  When I was
> running CUPS under RHEL4, I could manually edit my /etc/cups
> /printers.conf and add a printer.
>
> I can still do this, but now - about once an hour, on the 5s - CUPS
> (or some other cron daemon I haven't figured out yet) is looking on
> the network for IPP-capable printers.  It will find a lot.  This could
> be useful, but there are soooo many that my hand-edits to
> printers.conf - to add my particular non-IPP-discovered printer,
> and to rid myself of lots of printers (hundreds) that I really don't
> care about - are also getting lost.
>
> Is this peculiar to my CUPS version (1.2.4), or is there a
> configuration flag I can change?  Again, this behavior didn't
> happen under RHEL4 and whatever version of CUPS was bundled
> with that distro.

I'm (hopefully) answering my own question: After poking around a little bit more, I see other threads hear (circa 2006) that show similar printers.conf clobbering.  I decided to try using "system-config-printer" (aka "redhat-config-printer" on RH systems) to add my printer.  In addition to modifying the "obvious" CUPS-specific files, it also modified printcap.  Lo, when I look there, I also see all the printers that I really don't care about, too.

So under RedHat EL[45] and CentOS [45] it appears that - if you want to manually update your CUPS configuration - you had best also attend to /etc/printcap.

I'm waiting now for :05 past the hour to see if all still works.

-Del