Printing a postscript file is slower than printing a pdf file

Sebastian Krysmanski infomail at lordb.de
Wed May 14 09:06:35 PDT 2008

Hello,

I've recently bought a new laser printer (Kyocera FS-1030D) and have attachted it to my Linux server (running Debian 4.0). On this server I've installed CUPS (version 1.2.7) and Samba (version 3.0.28a) so that I can print from Windows XP (using the most recent CUPS driver for Windows).

Now everything works fine except for the fact that the printing is (sometimes) somewhat slow - or more exact: slower than on Windows.

I've a PDF file consisting of only one page. When the printer is directly connected to my Windows XP box and I print this PDF file it takes about 10 to 15 seconds until the printer (already in stand-by) starts printing the page. If I however connect the printer to my Linux server and print via Samba it takes about 55 seconds until the printer starts to print the page.

So I did some digging and found out that the Samba server (or the CUPS driver?) converts the PDF file to a Postscript file. This conversion is fairly fast but printing this file take the 55 seconds.

The problem now is that when I convert this Postscript file back to a PDF file (using "ps2pdf") and say "lp file.pdf" (instead of "lp file.ps") the printing (the prepartion time) is as fast as on the Windows box.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?

This behaviour is (as stated above) reproducable. I don't know if it's related to my printer. Any help would be nice.

I link the file I used here so that someone may reproduce this problem:

http://lordb.mayastudios.net/files/testpage.pdf  (the original PDF file)
http://lordb.mayastudios.net/files/testpage.ps  (the Postscript file that is sent to the printer)

Regards
Sebastian