[cups.general] Apple Cups solution

Tom Allison tom at tacocat.net
Tue Oct 28 03:41:20 PDT 2008

I'm not certain that I'm even subscribed today -- been having troubles
with that -- but I have found the solution to something that might be of
value to the Cups community.

Apple made some changes with the Leopard installation that causes some
problems with printing.  Namely, they removed the client configuration
and some applications seem to just crash for me.

Here's a fix that is consistent with Apple and Cups:

on the apple computer go to localhost:631 and add a printer.
Make it a IPP printer using the URL from the cups server to see the
printer queue (this is the URL under the name of the printer on the tab
Printers).

Set it to RAW.  This passes everything to the parent server and
processes the content there and not at your apple computer.

This seems to work very well on several computers I've set up so far.a

But the essentials of the solution are to use the localhost cups server
to queue and pass the print jobs to the next print server.