Ubuntu 8.04, CUPS and Windows: printer offline

Florian Effenberger floeff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 06:55:59 PDT 2008

Hello,

we recently migrated from Debian 3.1 to Ubuntu 8.04, using CUPS with Windows XP clients. Now we experience a very strange behaviour: Printers seem to be offline in Windows shortly after I've added them.

The first pages work fine, but if the client idles around a little bit or reboot, the printer is offline and can't be put back online (translated: "Error in command processing."). Turned off firewalls and AppArmor, but to no avail. Logs show no error. Printer only works again after deleting and re-installing.

Anyone knows what could cause this issue?

FYI: It works fine when using Samba for accessing the printer in the UNC form of \\server\printer - as soon as I rename the printer then, connection gets lost again.

Thanks,
Florian