[cups.general] hiding unwanted printers

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 08:44:48 PDT 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

> In our institute the "typical user workstation" is a Linux CUPS client of
> a single CUPS server (running CUPS 1.2.7 under SuSE Linux). The public
> printers are network printers (usually HP or Dell) with a hostname like
> lp0 to lp8 and a static IP address.
>
> Now occasionally it appears that some moron connects his own machine to
> the LAN (in DHCP or with a static IP address) and misconfigures it to
> announce to be a CUPS server.
>
> When this happens all users accessing the CUPS server via the web
> interface on port 631, as well as applications like firefox or openoffice
> show an excessively long list of printers. Sometimes the same "official"
> network printers duplicated as "lpn at x.y.z.t", sometimes a locally attached
> printer of the moron host.
>
> Instead of chasing the moron each time, would it be possible to arrange
> that the Only and One CUPS server shows to the clients ONLY a predefined
> list of printers ?

Why not just set the machines up without cups running, and have

/etc/cups/client.conf:

ServerName cupsserver.my.domain

That gets the client only talking to your server which I'm assuming will have
browsing disabled.

jh

--
"The thing that impresses me most about America is the way parents obey their
  children."                                          -- Edward VIII