each jobs get a paper with "-en % !" printed

Guido weathercoach at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:35:51 PDT 2008

   Hello.
   I'm recently migrating from the Solaris 10 built in lp system to CUPS.
   The cups version is 1.1.21 because that is what Sun is providing.

   I have been able to setup and print to my printer queues just dandy
but 1 thing I have noticed is that an extra page prints for every job.
   First a page with the following content get's printed

-en % !
       %% %%

    And then the actual job is printed.   This happens on every single job and could easily add up over the course of the year to be thousands of sheets of paper.  So I looked through the PPD file HP5500_foomatic.ppd and found the area that appears to be creating the extra page.    Notice the "echo" portion of the FoomaticRIPCommandLine string.

*FoomaticIDs: HP-LaserJet_5500 Postscript
*FoomaticRIPCommandLine: "level=%D; echo -en "%!\n%% %%\n%C"&&
; if (( $level > 0 )); then if (( $level < 99 )); then level=&qu&&
ot; -dLanguageLevel=$level"; else level=""; fi; gs -q -&&
dPARANOIDSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pswrite$level%A%Z -sOutputFi&&
le=- -; else cat; fi"

  The echo command on a Solaris host does not accept any flags (eg: -en) so that entire statement after echo is seen as the content to echo.   I can remove the -en flags from the ppd file and the extra page does not print but I'm wondering if that will cause some other unforseen problem and if modifying the ppd files in this fashion is considered safe?

   TIA.
   G.