Developement of canon mx700 network drivers

Michael Wheeler cupsd at theskorm.net
Tue Sep 9 02:42:40 PDT 2008

I am commiting myself to the task developing network drivers for the canon mx700, by reverse engineering packet dumps, I'm currently planing on doing the following.

1. Dump data flow between a Windows machine and the printer using ethereal/wireshark
2. Test interfacing with the printer
3. Write drivers for Cups.

I'm looking for information that would help me in doing this, mostly with step 3. Since it's a network printer and not a peripheral printer I have no idea where I would start with this.

I'll be starting dumping tomorrow, so any suggestions would be great.

Ps, First post, and cups is awesome.