[cups.general] Replacing XPrint interfaces with CUPS

Robert Schweikert rschweikert at novell.com
Fri Apr 17 14:59:20 PDT 2009

Michael,

Thanks. The interfaces are actually in openMotif, and I don't think
tying openMotif to GNOME or KDE for printing is an approach that is
feasible. Is there a way to get the functionality of these cassl working
by using CUPS APIs?

Thanks,
Robert

Michael R Sweet wrote:
> Robert Schweikert wrote:
>
>> In an effort to make some code LSB compliant it is necessary to replace
>> XPrint interfaces used by the code with CUPS interfaces, since CUPS is
>> part of the LSB. I would appreciate any help anyone can provide for the
>> following list of interfaces (replacement API's to use, potential
>> approaches if there is no direct replacement, pointers to documentation
>> etc.). I have little knowledge about what it takes to print something,
>> thus any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Here is the list of interfaces:
>>
>> XpQueryExtension
>> XpGetPageDimensions
>> XpGetPdmStartParams
>> XpGetOneAttribute
>> XpSelectInput
>> XpGetDocumentData
>> XpGetContext
>> XpEndPage
>> XpStartPage
>> XpEndJob
>> XpGetScreenOfContext
>> XpSetImageResolution
>>

> Most of these relate to printing with X11 calls; while you can get
> some of the information (page dimensions come from the PPD file for
> a printer), I highly recommend using one of the toolkits (GNOME or
> Qt) instead of direct X11 calls for printing.

Software Engineer Consultant                          LINUX
rschweikert at novell.com
781-464-8147

Novell
Making IT Work As One