Oddity with MacOS X 10.5.7 LPR and IPP sharing

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at illinois.edu
Sun Aug 2 10:29:30 PDT 2009

On a MacOS X Server 10.5.7 machine (PPC, if it matters) I add a socket: queue
to an HP 3030 laser printer.  I am careful to name the printer with only
alphanumeric characters and hyphens ("HP-3030-mono-laser") because I
eventually want to push this shared queue down via OD to a bunch of MacOS X
clients and I'm trying to avoid bugs involving spaces in queue names.  I test
the queue by printing the test page and it works.

I use Server Admin to share that queue via LPR, and I restart printing service
via Server Admin (hit "Stop Print", confirming, then "Start Print") just to be
sure that the queue is shared with LPR.  But my MacOS X 10.5.7 client can not
print to that queue via LPR.

Adding the queue to the client works but all jobs printed to that queue sit in
that queue and the printer becomes "paused".  This usually means that
something is wrong when the client tries to connect to the LPR port on the
server machine.

When I visit http://localhost:631/ in a web browser on the server box I notice
the print queue is not published for sharing (!).  I press that button which
enables sharing.  Now the client's queue works to print.

But there are side effects to this:

- I'm now sharing the queue via IPP and LPR.  I just wanted to share the queue
via LPR.

- Server Admin's list of queues is out of sync with reality (because there is
a bug with Server Admin actually enabling what it purports to enable?).  The
IPP checkbox is not checked indicating that Server Admin sees the queue as
unshared via IPP.  This is untrue as I can illustrate below.

- When I look at what printer queues are shared via Zeroconf/Bonjour, I see
the IPP queue advertised.  I can add it as a new print queue from there if I
wish.  When I add this advertised queue as a new print queue on the client
machine I get info on that queue and see its URI begins with "ipp:" indicating
it's an IPP queue.

How does one properly set up a print queue to be shared only via LPR?

How does one properly control which protocols are used for print queue sharing?

Thanks.