[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3281: CUPS Fails to handle poscrtipt generated by Adobe Flash Player

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Sat Aug 8 20:14:00 PDT 2009

On Aug 8, 2009, at 6:04 PM, Ian Dall wrote:
> However, Flash is very common and it wouldn't be the only, (or last)

Flash may be common, but is almost always is not static and not
printable (or at least that is my experience) even on Windows.

> application to generate non conforming data. I still think it is not
> good that pstops detects an error, but the whole stack proceeds as if
> nothing were wrong (until something else fails where the cause is
> harder
> to pin down). It should either do a fixup (if that can be reasonably
> done) or fail cleanly preferably with a meaningful status/error
> message.

Unfortunately, not all errors can predict the success or failure of a
job, and in many cases we don't detect an error until it is too late
and we have already sent some portion of the job file.

This is one of the reasons why Mac OS X prefers PDF for the
application queuing format and why Linux is moving to PDF as well...