[cups.general] DESPERATE! Can't print more than one copy at a time!

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Feb 2 15:37:10 PST 2009

Xerox Phaser 7400DN from Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64, up to date.

I don't use this printer often, but when I do I really need its
features. Every couple of months I use it to print 550 copies of a
flyer. The last time I did this was around the first of December, and
it worked fine. Now, all I can get is 1 copy. If I tell it to print
more copies the application generates the print job as usual, I see the
print job in Manage Print Jobs, the print job goes to the printer, but
absolutely nothing happens at the printer. No flashing lights, no
"processing" message -  nada. But one copy does work fine - I see the
"processing" message, and the page comes out of the printer.

The document was created in OpenOffice.org Writer 3.0. Since I couldn't
get more than one copy from Writer I exported it to PDF and printed it
from Adobe Reader 8.1. But I get the same results from Adobe Reader -
one copy prints fine, but that's all I can get. I tried 10 copies, 100
copies, 550 copies, and several other numbers, but any time I specify
more than one copy the print job goes into the bitbucket.

I sure hope someone has a fix, because I need to deliver these flyers
tomorrow morning!