CUPS on FreeBSD - Sides and Bottom Cut Off

Jim Ruler at michiganoutdoorsman.com
Sat Feb 28 13:57:47 PST 2009

I recently replaced my home server, migrating from Slackware Linux to FreeBSD 7. Everything is working flawlessly with one exception - the printing. I installed CUPS from the ports system, along with hp-ijs. Using the web interface, I set up my ethernet printer (a Brother HL-10h) and selected the correct driver as directed on the CUPS homepage. However, when I'd print to it from any of my windoze clients or even a test page in the CUPS web interface, the left and right edges as well as the bottom were cut off about 3/4" from the edge of the paper. I know that it isn't a hardware limitation, as the slackware box was printing perfectly with the same setup out to just under 1/4" from the edge. Setting documents to have a 1/4" margin was perfect before, whereas now if I do the same thing and print a document with "Facts:" as the line of text against the left margin, the only character printed is the ':' - 'Facts' is cut off and is completely blank.  The top is fine though, and I can print up to about 1/4" from the edge of the paper - it's only the sides and bottom that are truncated.  I just can't seem to figure it out, even after several days of playing around with it. I even went into the PPD file and changed the imageable area, but to no effect. (Test pages printed from the CUPS web interface still show the original imageable area in the left box where this information is displayed.)

To eliminate a great many possible problems, I mounted the hard drive from the slackware box on another PC and was able to pull the PPD that slackware was using off, as well as cupsd.conf and printers.conf. I set CUPS on my FreeBSD box to use the PPD from the slackware machine and it STILL cut off the edges and bottom. I went through and compared the two config files, line by line, and found nothing that would have any effect. For giggles, I replaced the files on my FreeBSD box with the slackware versions and it still cuts stuff off.

Does anybody have any advice of what I could do to fix this problem? I've googled for hours and not found anything relevant. I honestly do not know even what to try anymore, apart from junking all the work I did setting up FreeBSD and go back to Slackware, which I'd really rather not do for something as simple as a printing problem. Plus, I'm not 100% that this would work unless I went back to the same rather old version of Slackware (10.2) that I had on my old server, as it's possible that something changed in a version of CUPS since then that's causing this behavior.  I feel that there must be a way to correct this problem on FreeBSD, but am really out of ideas as to what it might be.