password protected printer

Petr hwarang78 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 02:11:51 PDT 2009

Hi,

I have a printer connected to a linux machine with CUPS. I am able to print to it from Windows. However, I need to limit the access to this printer. I added a linux user and set him to be allowed to print. I expected to set the username and password pair somewhere in Windows and to be able to print then.

So, I set the login details in the printer properties form, particularly in the port settings. However, I'm not able to print to the printer now :-( The error log states 'Denying user "Petr H" access to printer "HP_LaserJet_6P"...'

The user 'Petr H' is the Windows user. The user created in Linux has a different name. Yes, maybe using the Windows user name in Linux would help, but this is not acceptable for me as I need some new people to be able to print without me adding a new user for each..

So, where is the problem? Maybe the Windows are not asked for login details? Or why do Windows send the Windows username instead of the one supplied in the printer properties form?

Thank you in advance,

Petr