[cups.general] Page label overlaps output

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Jul 16 07:00:21 PDT 2009

Hello,

On Jul 15 11:14 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
> On Jul 15, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Nathan Paul wrote:
>> I'm using the page-label option to generate a customized header/
>> footer on my documents. The header and footer sometimes overlap the
>> printed output. Is there any solution to this? The alternate pstops
>> filter will not work, since we have requirements to support PS1.
>
> There is no solution to this, however the labels should be whiting out
> the background behind the label to ensure the label is visible...

....but what actually happens seems to depend on the driver.

At least for my HP LaserJet 1220 with the hpijs driver in HPLIP 3.9.6b
the background behind the label is not whited out - at least not
for the CUPS 1.3 PostScript testpage.

But the background behind the label is whited out in all other cases
which I tried out, in particular in PostScript mode and with the
drivers hpcups (HPLIP 3.9.6b), ljet4, pxlmono, and gutenprint.

Furthermore the exact position differs depending on the driver.
Usually it is at the very top and bottom of the imageable area
except for ljet4 and pxlmono where it is almost 1 cm shifted
into the imageable area.

This is not meant as any kind of bug report.
In all cases which I tried out it works o.k. for me.
It is only meant to make the reader aware that the exact details
depend on the driver.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex