[cups.general] -Z - Switch for "lpr"

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Jun 12 08:24:03 PDT 2009

Daniel Spannbauer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for the old Printing-Systems (in my case plp) there was sthe
> Commandline-Switch "-Z" which (according to the man-Page):
> -Z options
>              Pass  the specified options to the print spooler.  Used
> when 	    additional or specialized information must be provided to
>     the spooler.
>
> Is that Switch anywhere for cups-LPR?
>
> I'm printing from Cups to a old plp-Printing-System and have to give
> some Options to the plp-System.
>
> Regards
>
> Daniel

A couple of years ago I wrote an experimentel PLP backend for CUPS
and tested it using a PLP installation on an A/UX box.

This backend is written in Perl, did work, and may be easily extended to
pass options of your choice via the Z-switch's counterpart in the control
file (which is tagged Z as well, IIRC).

Drop me an e-mail if you are interested in this script (I even have the
original PLP documentation (Version 2.0) from Patrick Powell.

Helge